We are in perpetual transition from the pagan morality to the God’s morality, and this article explains why it is so.
Why God and what is its image here?
The humans live by what they think of what is GOOD and should be supported, and what is BAD and should be suppressed. That is called the Morality, and its source is named God.
For this discussion, the image of this source is the image of an All-Mighty Supreme Power that created everything where we the humans live, created us the humans, and created the Laws along the lines of which everything is evolving. Such image satisfies both the religious and the science-oriented communities.
What is the source of the God’s morality?
In the Judeo-Christian universe, the God’s morality is defined by the Torah/Bible, and this morality is the morality “In the image and likeness of God” that is the morality of individual freedoms and responsibilities.
How the pagan morality is defined, and how it was created?
It is most possible that the humans who were created “in the image and likeness of God” misinterpret this image and decided that the God or his helpers-gods would take care of the humans if the humans obey and bring sacrifices. That is at the core of the pagan morality – the morality of gods’ freedoms and responsibilities but human individuals’ servitude.
When God, or most advanced humans, realized how the “in the image and likeness of God” was misinterpreted, the transitional process to true meaning of this concept had begun.
The transitional process from the pagan to God’s morality had begun with Abraham and Isaac over three-and-a-half millennium ago with many crucial steps on the way to the modern times. Some of the crucial steps were Moses and the Torah at the Mount Sinai, King David in Jerusalem, Jesus Christ in Jerusalem, Maimonides in Egypt, the Western Judeo-Christian civilization in Europe and Judeo-Christian America.
After each transitional step, the public pagan morality was decreasing, and the public God’s morality was increasing. The tradition tells us that the end of this process will be marked by “Messiah coming” but there is no prediction on the timing.
Each of the transitional crucial steps was advancing the God’s morality in the following way.
- At the first step with Abraham and Isaac, only one transitional change was introduced – do not make human sacrifices in the name of God; everything else remained pagan.
- At the Mount Sinai, the Ten Commandments was introduced for the Jewish nation, and the long learning period on how to implement it (the religion of Judaism) had begun.
- In Jerusalem with King David, the duties of a national leader who respects “individual freedoms and responsibilities” of the citizens was successfully tested.
- In Jerusalem with Jesus Christ, the Ten Commandments was introduced for the non-Jewish nations, and they had begun the long learning process of how to tailor it to their own life circumstances (the religion of Christianity).
- At about same time, the religious officialdom in Judaism and Christianity had begun playing the leading role in this spiritual transformation as a sort of intermediaries between God and the Man.
- At the times of Maimonides, the new image of God was introduced that was rooted in the new scientific/philosophical discoveries of the times, and how to live “In the image and likeness of God” became clearer.
- At the times of the Western Civilization’s formation, the God’s morality was implemented by the people outside the religious officialdom.
- At the times of the Judeo-Christian America’s formation, the God’s morality was secured in the US Constitution although without any reference to the religious officialdom.
However, this transformation from pagan-to-God’s-morality is not completed, and the current “civil wars” in USA, Israel and Europe are in essence the spiritual wars between the peoples of the true Judeo-Christian morality and the Pagan morality.
The modern pagans are hiding their paganist morality in the modern fashionable slogans, such as democracy or equality for example. However, their pagan nature is clearly seen when the public morality they are advocating for is compared to the public morality of the Ten Commandments as described in the article “Our nation is in trouble because we betray the Ten Commandments” at https://intellectual0judaism0really.com/2020/03/22/our-nation-is-in-trouble-because-we-betray-the-ten-commandments/
Your thoughts on this and many other publications in this Blog are greatly appreciated.